- Then & Now Project: The journey from “I do” to “I don’t” to “what now” is complicated. This project shares snippets from my book – taken from my journal then. These posts reveal pieces of the journey in a “that was then, this is now” format with my posting days matching journal entry days. (Sort of a time-fusion.) I hope this project focus will offer food for thought in your own life – whether you do, don’t or might. XO
Journal, April 4, 1994 • “The weirdest thing happened today. Lea and I went shopping so I could pick up some things for the house. We wound up at the new home store. We were hungry, so we stopped in their deli … While I was standing at the counter waiting for my food, this gal caught my eye. I felt drawn to her and, for some strange reason, the idea came into my head that she was Shelly. I started discretely checking her out … She was pretty. Trim in an athletic sort of way, with clear, radiant skin. It was quite unnerving. As I sat down to eat with Lea, I confessed my “obsession.” When we got up to leave, this gal did also. She directed a question about the store to me, making conversation. She was very pleasant and sweet. I thought, if this is Shelly, does she know who I am? I hadn’t found any pictures of her when I went through Ray’s stuff, so I was at a disadvantage. Real crazy thinking. I knew it couldn’t be her but the thought stuck with me. Lea started teasing me as we wandered through the store, trying to lighten me up. It did get rather funny because wherever I went, there was this gal. Like a puppy that follows you home.
I think this gal, and the thought that took root, was a face-to-face orchestrated by my angels – an entertaining way to encourage me to see Shelly not as an enemy, but as a friend.”
2010: The angels were just getting warmed up with this one. Obsessions came easy for me so planting this idea didn’t require much effort on their part. God knows, I’m sure they were tired of my whining pleas for help and decided on a little comic relief while they passed down my lesson for the day. And they couldn’t have had a better “partner in crime” than Lea. Laughter is her middle name!
I got it. (And still believe it today.) Shelly was not the enemy. What was happening in my marriage was between God and me, first. Ray and me, second. Shelly and me – not at all. What a relief not to have to lug around that kind of resentment – and fear of drawing in or stumbling over any other “other woman.”
I chose this snippet because it cannot be emphasized enough. (Whether you believe in angels or not.) When you ask for help …
- PAY ATTENTION.
- Don’t Limit the Answer’s Form and …
- Develop a Sense of Humor!
- Post Number Nineteen: I love the way the angels re-framed Shelly for me. If you want to read more about the benefits of re-framing while working through a bad situation, check out this link for my Companion Guide to Bernadette’s Pages.
- A Funny Thought: If I could go back to 1994, right now? I would say, “Bernadette, when it comes to your angels, you haven’t seen the half of it. The best is yet to come!”
- About This Post: I’m attempting to merge the nine months recorded in Bernadette’s Pages with the present here – but still can’t figure out how to format it in a neat and tidy way. So, it’s probably going to be raw and choppy in places. I’ll throw in some quotes and bullets to guide you along. If I lose you somewhere, let me know. I’ll come back to get you.
- If you landed in the middle of this project: Click here to start at the beginning!
The Messy Room and my Facebook Page are two ways that I share the “HOW” of it! Please join me and SPREAD THE WORD. You CAN get here from there!
Excerpts ©2006 from Bernadette’s Pages: An Intimate Crossroad
If you like this then “LIKE” it and SHARE it with your friends! Together we grow!