121 Ways to Tear Up that Book: #1 through 3.

Tear Up That Book Studio Desk

Imagine This …

You write a book. Publish it. Then, years later, hear the words;

“Tear it up. Tear up your book and make art with it.”

Would you? Would you upcycle it? Repurpose it? Alter it?

I was curious. What would it feel like for the writer-me to take a back seat and let the artist-me play?

Rebellious? Irreverent? A little exciting, maybe?

What would it feel like to tear up my book and transform its journey with betrayal and forgiveness to a new forum?

Forum as in ongoing. Not form as in static.

An image pops into my head.

“Tear out a page. Grab some charcoal. Call it Surrender.” whispers the muse.

Wow. I’m loving this one.

Surrender Your Stories: charcoal by bernadette rose smith

“Tear out another. Call it Moon Dance.” continues the muse.

Hmmm. Interesting.

Moon Dance

“That’s good for a start. But really quite tame.” says the voice in my head. “Now what if you REALLY tear it up and give those pages another purpose?”

Like what? I wonder.

“Bookmarks.” snickers the voice.

Bookmarks? Bookmarks for my book made out of my book? How funny!

RIP!

Tear It up Pages

SPLAT!

Tear It Up and Paint It

FOLD! GLUE! EMBELLISH!

Tear It Up Bookmarks with Bernadette's Pages

Now THAT was fun … and quite freeing. I think I’m seeing a series here. What was that? 121 ways to what? Hmmm. Wasn’t there a Cloth Paper Scissors challenge for a tunnel book in the last month’s issue?

“Get on that. NOW.” says the muse. “My job here is done.”

Tear It Up Bookmark on Desk

So, would YOU tear it up? Would YOU follow the whispers? Have YOU had any “odd” inspirations lately that you would like to share? Pull up a chair and tell me about it. Oh … and don’t mind the ripping noises.

If you like this then LIKE this and SHARE it. Together we grow!

Pin It
Spread the love

11 thoughts on “121 Ways to Tear Up that Book: #1 through 3.

• February 12, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Creativity is the “matter” of the Universe…it never dies..simply transforms into another expression. Love the concept and “bookmark” project. What other ways can we use the past creatively?

• February 12, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Past. Present. Future. I believe that Matter matters to the universe. The great creative collaboration. As for using the past creatively? With NO FEAR we exPAND the possibilities exPONENTIALLY … AND the fun! Thanks for the contemplative comment, Mr. Rivas. 🙂

• February 21, 2013 at 9:35 pm

You’re welcome …”contemplative comment?” Well I always try to practice safe commenting:)

• February 13, 2013 at 11:39 pm

That to me is HIGHLY courageous! I think about all my attachments to things written, photos taken, etc. I can’t say I would be that daring. I admire your willingness to follow what your muse said to do!!

• February 14, 2013 at 2:46 pm

The tearing up is not over yet, Juliette … wait til you see my tunnel book for the Cloth Paper Scissors bi-monthly challenge 🙂 I am going to try to meet their 2013 challenges with pieces of my book … just hope they don’t ask for an article of clothing … THAT could be interesting!

• February 14, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Love it! Kind of like clay mosaics, but with paper. This is a perfect use of hard earned growth and materials. Letting go is wonderful. I love smashing pots that I don’t want anymore just for the freeing emotion of letting it go. Can’t wait to see the tunnel book. BTW, save me a book mark!

• February 21, 2013 at 7:46 am

I love your smashing pots analogy, Christine! VERY freeing. 🙂 And you have a bookmark coming, girlfriend. XO

• February 16, 2013 at 10:28 am

Wow!! I am especially loving the charcoal drawings……such fierce emotion spilled out!! 😀
    I’ve often thought of doing some of the mixed media book page projects & kudos to you for following through with it Hun!! 😀 I’m sure once I start I won’t be able to stop either but so far….hmmmmmm……I’m finding my love and attachment to books themselves is what prevents me. 😉 Growing up….they were my ‘escape’ and I have treasured them since.
    I have nothing against anyone else creating such neat & gorgeous art with them……I just need to work past my demons I think to create my own lol!! 😉
    Are you creating any of this for sale!?!? I really love it all!! And would willingly snap up a book mark or two! 😀 But you really need to frame those charcoals…….they ARE really incredible! 😀
    *hugs* Sweetie & I sure pray you keep following that muse run wild because it’s on an exciting new path for you!! 😀

• February 21, 2013 at 7:58 am

Thank you, Karla. I love the charcoals as well and appreciate your appreciation of them, dear. 🙂 As for the bookmarks … maybe I will do some “for sale” but have not gotten to that in my process yet. Making art for art’s sake at the moment. As for tearing up a book and altering the pages … when you have a hankering to do it, I’ll send you a copy of Bernadette’s Pages. (I have PLENTY … heheheh.) BUT I will REQUIRE pictures of what you were inspired to do with it, love. I think it would be interesting as you have been “present” – in spite of the miles between us and the fact that we have yet to meet in person – to the story in those pages AND the story now … Love ya, girl! Thanks for stopping by!

• Pingback:Enlightened Ink - Musings From The Messy Room

• Pingback:Writers Blog Hop Their Happy | Bernadette's Musings from the Messy Room