Imagine This …
You write a book. Publish it. Then, years later, hear the words;
“Tear it up. Tear up your book and make art with it.”
Would you? Would you upcycle it? Repurpose it? Alter it?
This Cloth Paper Scissors challenge to create a tunnel book became #4 in my “121 Ways to Tear Up that Book” series. What you are seeing above is the mock-up I did – before proceeding to make my mess – to test my idea and troubleshoot construction challenges. All in all, it went together pretty smoothly.
• Broken “Forgive” between pages 1 and 2 represents the process.
• Tangled metallic thread on pages 1 and 2 represents the maze one confronts when trying to forgive.
• Gold highlights from thread and paint represent treasures found beyond forgiveness; thus the word “Live” with the heart dotting the “i” on page 3.
• Butterfly, suspended by gold threads on page 4, represents a new form of life after “tunneling” out of the betrayal cocoon.
• Orange represents second chakra issues related to sex and secrets.
• Blue represents fifth chakra issues related to finding and giving voice to the unsaid.
• Additional symbolism comes from the text on substrate pages.
Substrate: Pages torn out of my book – Bernadette’s Pages: An Intimate Crossroad – representing my journey from betrayal to forgiveness. Collage with torn passages from my book witness to anger and ultimately forgiveness.
Mediums: Acrylic. Glaze. Metallic thread. Repurposed earring pieces – worn when this event occurred in my life. Letters cut from book and glued on the template for structure stability. Metallic thread needled through.
This piece of messy art in the making put to music …
Pause for a moment to enjoy a short video of this project and click on the YouTube picture above. Perhaps the muses will inspire YOU to listen to the whispers!
So, would YOU tear it up? Would YOU follow the whispers? Have YOU had any “odd” inspirations lately that you would like to share?
If you like this then LIKE this and SHARE it. Together we grow!Pin It